Prince Andrew news – live: Charles and William ‘instrumental’ in duke’…

Queen strips Prince Andrew of military titles after sex assault case sent to trial

Prince Andrew has been stripped of his military titles and will defend a civil sexual assault as a “private citizen”, Buckingham Palace announced on Thursday.

“With the Queen’s approval and agreement, The Duke of York’s military affiliations and royal patronage have been returned to the Queen,” the Palace said in a statement.

“The Duke of York will continue not to attempt any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen.”

Andrew will no longer be known as His Royal Highness. Prince Charles and William were reportedly “instrumental” in the move to push Andrew out, according to the Daily Mail.

A senior palace source told the newspaper: “This is about the survival of the institution at all costs. Always has been and always will be.”

The decision to demote Prince Andrew follows his failed bid to get a estimate to dismiss a civil case brought by Virginia Giuffre in a federal court in New York. Ms Giuffre alleges that she was forced to have sex with Jeffrey Epstein’s friends – including the Duke of York – when she was 17. Prince Andrew strongly denies the allegations against him. 

1642159210

Calls to cut Prince Andrew’s connections to the City of York

A senior member of the City of York council has started a campaign to strip Prince Andrew of his Duke of York title following the removal of his honorary military roles by the Queen.

Darryl Smalley, Liberal Democrat executive member for culture, leisure and communities at the council, said: “York’s rare connection to the crown and the monarch is an important part of our city’s legacy, history and a great source of pride.

“No-one is above the law and all allegations should rightly be fully investigated, particularly following the recent distressing court situations.

“We stand with all victims, whose harrowing stories have shocked us all in recent months.

“Whilst Prince Andrew remains innocent until proven guilty, Buckingham Palace and the Government must consider the implications of these troubling allegations moving forward.

“Having been stripped of his military roles and royal patronages by the Queen, he should also now relinquish his title as Duke of York.”

MP for York Central Rachael Maskell backed the campaign saying: “It’s untenable for the Duke of York to cling onto his title another day longer; this association with York must end.”

Press Association contributed to this report

Holly Bancroft14 January 2022 11:20

1642158010

Government minister refuses to confirm if taxpayers will nevertheless fund Prince Andrew’s security

Security minister Damian Hinds was unable to confirm if the taxpayer will nevertheless fund Prince Andrew’s protection officers in an interview with LBC this morning.

Speaking on the radio stop, Mr Hinds said: “Our security forces, the police and others, do what they estimate is necessary to protect our country, to protect people in it.”

He said it is a “long-standing – and I think correct – rule that we don’t talk about who and how in particular”.

When pushed, he said: “I know this is going to come across to you possibly, and possibly to some listeners, like me obfuscating and avoiding the question, and I suppose maybe already in some ways it is avoiding the question, but only because it is right to say that the police and our wider security forces do what is right and proportionate to protect the people of this country.

“And we don’t publicise exactly what that covers.”

The question of taxpayer-funded security for non-working royals was last raised when the Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped down.

When Harry and Meghan made public their decision early last year, their website suggested that the Home Office, by the Metropolitan Police, should continue to provide protection for the associate and their young son, Archie.

But former Home Office minister Norman Baker called at the time for Scotland Yard to cap the annual expenditure on security for the associate to its 2019 level.

The Sussexes later signed multimillion-pound deals with Netflix and Spotify, with the duke telling Oprah Winfrey he had secured them to pay for his security.

Press Association14 January 2022 11:00

1642156810

Read Virginia Giuffre’s comments in complete

Holly Bancroft14 January 2022 10:40

1642155966

Prince Charles and Prince William allegedly behind the Queen’s decision

Prince Charles and his son Prince William are reportedly behind the Queen’s decision to strip Prince Andrew of his titles and royal patronages.

During an hour-long summit, both Charles and William were in complete agreement that Andrew must go, according to The Sun.

The paper reported that Prince William was a meaningful figure in the judgement and helped the Queen realise that Andrew’s position was “grave”.

Prince Charles and Prince William were described as “instrumental” in the decision by the Daily Mail, with one source telling the news outlet: “This is about the survival of the institution at all costs. Always has been and always will be.”

They said: “It was a ruthless ad rapid decision which will have been recommended by the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge and sanctioned by the Queen.”

Holly Bancroft14 January 2022 10:26

1642152663

ICYMI: Ghislaine Maxwell no longer fighting to keep names sealed from Giuffre’s lawsuit

Ghislaine Maxwell is no longer fighting to hide information – including eight names – from Virginia Giuffre’s lawsuit against her, Maxwell’s lawyers have said.

Lawyers from Ms Giuffre have long fought to unseal the names of eight “John Does” mentioned in their 2015 civil lawsuit.

It is not known whether Prince Andrew is one of the John Does in the 2015 case.

Read the latest from Nathan Place in New York:

Holly Bancroft14 January 2022 09:31

1642152039

What the papers say about the Queen stripping Prince Andrew of his titles

Almost all of the UK’s national papers led on news that the Queen had stripped Prince Andrew of his royal titles.

The Daily Telegraph used a photo of the Prince being pushed to Windsor Castle on its front page, with the headline: “Queen freezes out Andrew”.

The Daily Mail used the same photo, instead captioning it “pushed Out”. They described Prince Andrew’s demeanour as “haunted” and palace supplies told the paper that the “ruthless and rapid” decision had been “widely discussed” within the Royal Family.

The Times said Prince Andrew had been “humiliated” by the Queen’s decision.

And the Daily Express said that the Queen had “cast Andrew adrift for the sake of the monarchy”.

The Sun put this more succinctly with the headline: “Throne Out”.

Holly Bancroft14 January 2022 09:20

1642149910

Virginia Giuffre: ‘high & powerful are not above the law’

The woman who is taking Prince Andrew to court with allegations of sexual assault has thanked the estimate who rejected the royal’s attempt to have the lawsuit thrown out.

Virginia Giuffre tweeted: “I’m pleased with estimate Kaplan’s ruling yesterday that allows my case against Prince Andrew to go forward. I’m glad I will have the chance to continue to expose the truth & I am deeply grateful to my extraordinary legal team.

“Their determination helps me seek justice from those who hurt me and so many others. My goal has always been to show that the high and powerful are not above the law & must be held accountable.

“I do not walk this path alone, but alongside countless other survivors of sexual abuse & trafficking.”

(AP)

Holly Bancroft14 January 2022 08:45

1642149010

Prince Charles and Prince William allegedly urged the Queen to strip Prince Andrew of his patronages

Prince Charles and Prince William urged the Queen to strip Prince Andrew of his royal patronages in a summit-style meeting at Windsor, The Sun has reported.

The Queen reportedly made the decision after a meeting with her eldest son and the Duke of Cambridge.

Both Prince William and Prince Charles were said to be in complete agreement that Andrew must go. The Sun reported that the pair were “completely furious” after Prince Andrew “crossed a red line”.

Holly Bancroft14 January 2022 08:30

1642148290

Prince Andrew may have to fund his own security

Prince Andrew may be forced to fund his own security now that he has been stripped of his royal patronages, a former head of the royal protection unit has said.

The bill to the taxpayer for Prince Andrew’s annual security is said to be £2million.

Ex-head of the police royal protection unit, Chief superintendent Dai Davis, told the Daily Mail : “Whether (or not) he continues to use his titles, he remains the Queen’s son. Whether or not he is nevertheless afforded specialist protection will be based thoroughly around how serious intelligence indicates the threat level will be”.

He additional: “If the threat level is low, then like junior royals and his own daughters he will have to fund protection himself. I think they will be very careful until there has been a very thorough assessment and he will keep protected at the minimum in the short term.”

Holly Bancroft14 January 2022 08:18

1642146342

Prince Andrew’s civil case: What is alleged and what happens next?

Prince Andrew has had a motion to dismiss the civil case against him denied by a estimate in New York so what is alleged against the duke and what will happen next?

Ms Giuffre is suing Andrew in a civil case in New York alleging she was forced to have sex with Jeffrey Epstein’s friends, including the Duke of York, when she was 17.

The civil case will now move into a discovery phase where Andrew may have to sit for an interview under oath.

Prince Andrew strongly denies the allegations against him.

What happens next in Prince Andrew’s civil case?

Prince Andrew has had a motion to dismiss the civil case against him denied by a estimate in New York so what is alleged against the duke and what will happen next?Ms Giuffre is suing Andrew in a civil case in New York alleging she was forced to have sex with Jeffrey Epstein’s friends, including the Duke of York, when she was 17.The civil case will now move into a discovery phase where Andrew may have to sit for an interview under oath.Prince Andrew strongly denies the allegations against him.Sign up to our free newsletters by clicking here

Stuti Mishra14 January 2022 07:45

Click: See details

Leave a Reply