Unlike car accidents, you won’t read a lot about the horse-related accidents in newspapers. However, this doesn’t average that these accidents don’t happen at all. The fact of the matter is that the British Horse Society (BHS) is of the opinion that horse-related accidents don’t get reported as often as the other types of accidents. According to the reports from the Hospital Episode Statistics (HES), over 4,000 horse-related accidents happened between 2011 and 2012.
Although the vehicles drawn by horses don’t move so fast, their chances of causing injuries or damages are higher than the regular vehicles. except the traffic accidents, horse-trailers can get stolen. In these circumstances, you may want to consider a horse-trailer insurance policy.
What Does It Cover?
Given below are a few salient features of horse-trailer insurance:
- Recovery: the provider will bear the costs to pick up or retrieve the repaired trailer.
- Trailer hire: this characterize allows you to hire a good substitute trailer and the costs will be reimbursed by the insurer.
- Equipment coverage: The characterize covers for the damage or loss occurred to the equipment and the trailer upgrades.
- Third party liability: you get coverage against the legal liability if your horse trailer causes an injury to a person.
- Accidental theft, fire or damage: This provides coverage against the loss or damage of the trailer.
- Roadside assistance: roadside assistance refers to the coverage against the expenses related to the towing sets if the means breaks down.
Factors That Can Increase or decline the Insurance Rates
Buying a horse-trailer insurance policy is not cheap. The dominant reason is that the horse trailer costs a lot of money to buy. The premiums you will be paying vary based on the insurer. However, given below are the factors that can increase or decline the amount of premiums that you will need to pay:
- The form and manufacturer of the trailer
- The number of horses that were transported
- Your driving history
- Your location
- Your amount of deductible
How to Save Money on The Horse Trailer Insurance?
Although you will need to pay a good deal of money to buy the insurance policy, you can follow the tips given below to make it a bit cheaper by availing discounts.
1. Identification of your trailer: if you make the identification of your means easier, the chances of your means getting stolen will be slimmer. What you need to do is make your trailer different from the rest of the trailers. To do this, you can paint a particular design on it so that the applicable authorities could recognize it easily.
2. Lock the hitch of your trailer: buying a hitch lock is a good idea to discourage thieves. So, your means may not be stolen.
3. If you have a low annual mileage, you may get a discount. So, you should discuss this with your insurance provider.
So, if you want to get horse-trailer insurance, make sure you follow these tips.